Beast in Black - Berserker Review



Concise Summary:

WOW!!! This might just be not only the best debut album of the year, but also the album of the year, and I'm not just saying that. Berserker by Beast in Black is so dang good I'm surprised my ceiling doesn't have a hole in it after I listened to the album for the first time! Every single song on this album is just straight up GLORIOUS! There isn't a single one that I disliked. Also, the vocals on this album.... I'm legitimately blown away. The first time I heard Yannis Papadopoulos sing I was watching Beast in Black's first music video (at least first to my knowledge), Blind and Frozen. When the video cut to Yannis singing, I actually thought he was lip-syncing a woman, but then he started in with the high-compression vocals and I realized his voice is just that diverse! I actually can't believe how good of a vocalist he is - probably top 10 vocalists of all time in my book, maybe top 5. Along with the incredible vocals on this album, the instrumentals are just... wow. The founder of the band, Anton Kabanen, used to play guitar (and sing?) for Battle Beast, another band that I really love. I can definitely hear the Battle Beast songwriting influence in this album, and it's GREAT!!! Overall, I'm just blown away. This might be the best debut album I've ever heard - definitely one of the best albums I've ever heard, period - and I can't WAIT to hear more from Beast in Black! 

My Rating: 10 out of 10


Highlights:
  • VOCALS!!!!!!!!!
  • Overall really fun sound
  • Great mixing actually. It is especially impressive because of all the instruments that are sometimes playing in unison - I didn't notice any ear fatigue. 
  • A surprising amount of songwriting diversity - there are a few slow, methodical parts/songs instead of a continual straight up barrage of sound - very mature approach.
  • The lyrics are actually not stupid! 
Lowlights:
  • Being an anti-manga kind of person, I was a little triggered when I found out that this album is somehow related to the manga Berserk. However, that's probably what kept the lyrics from being just straight up drivel like a lot of the albums this year, so I guess I will appreciate it. Also, the album is just so dang good, I can't really take points off for being related to something that I personally don't care for. ;P
Favorite Songs:
  • Wait, there were songs on the album that I didn't like????
  • Beast in Black
  • Blind and Frozen
  • Blood of a Lion
  • Born Again
  • Eternal Fire
  • End of the World
  • Ghost in the Rain 
  • Listen to the whole album though, really. 
More Info:



Support these guys like crazy! Buy this album!!!

Comments

  1. Please follow me on Twitter @BPMetalReviews to stay updated on when new reviews drop! I really appreciate you guys reading these reviews. I'm trying to get a following and hopefully make some income to help pay for college, but that might be a long shot.... Hey, if any of you have reviews you'd like done, leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also be sure to follow me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BPMetalReviews/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Unguided - And The Battle Royale Review

Red - Gone Review

Hulkoff - KVEN Review