Sweet & Lynch - Unified Review



Concise Summary:

Unified by Sweet & Lynch is one of those albums that isn't that bad, but doesn't at all fall within my taste in music. As such, I didn't care for this album. It's classified as "Hard Rock" on iTunes, but it's barely that.... It almost seems more like "Easy-listening Metal". The guitar is not aggressive at all, and most of Sweet's vocals aren't very intense, so this will definitely appeal to fans of older bands. For those who have listened to Stryper, Michael Sweet's main band, you will find that Sweet & Lynch is a lot softer and less intense. Just from listening to a bit of George Lynch's current main band, Lynch Mob, I can say that Sweet & Lynch is much more similar to Lynch Mob than Stryper. As far as the actual album goes, it's not bad. Sweet's vocals are good, as usual, Lynch has some really catchy guitar parts in there, and the overall workmanship on the songs is decent. However, I was sorely disappointed with the lyrics; they're way more generic and boring than I expected, especially considering Michael Sweet is usually very good with lyrics. Overall, the album just feels dead, kind of like neither Michael Sweet nor George Lynch really gave their full attention to it. It's really not special, and I would say it's worse than the first Sweet & Lynch album. Since this isn't really my preferred style of music either, though, don't take my criticism as seriously for this album. 

My Rating: 6 out of 10


Highlights:
  • Some very excellent riffs from George Lynch
  • Great singing by Michael Sweet
Lowlights:
  • Honestly terrible lyrics
  • This is the softest "hard rock" I think I've ever heard. 
  • Maybe it's just me not enjoying the album, but I thought Unified seemed dead. It sometimes almost sounds like Michael Sweet is falling asleep singing and the songwriting seems lacking in heart and passion. As both Michael Sweet and George Lynch were/are working on albums for their main bands at this point (Lynch Mob literally just released their newest album on September 8th), Sweet & Lynch is probably not their main concern. In my opinion, Unified shows that, and it kind of seems like an unwanted stepchild (pardon the expression).  
Favorite Song:
  • Afterlife 
More Info:



Disclaimer: The views expressed in this review are solely those of the author of this article and serve only to convey his opinion of the album in question, not to harm the band. 

Comments

  1. Follow me on Facebook and Twitter @BPMetalReviews to stay updated on the latest reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Unguided - And The Battle Royale Review

Red - Gone Review

Hulkoff - KVEN Review