Veil of Maya - Overthrow Review



Concise Summary:

Overthrow by Veil of Maya is just one of those albums that kind of grows on you. I wrote this review in a rather negative light at first, but as I'm re-listening to Overthrow, I'm enjoying it more and more... I am not a huge fan of the style, but that's my personal taste. Veil of Maya actually put in quite a few unique things into this album. There are a lot of slow, clean interludes with some interesting synth and keyboards which make nice reprieves from the brutal onslaught of guitar. Also, those interludes help to eliminate potential ear fatigue. I would say that for me, this album was "meh" at best the first time I listened through it, but as I'm sitting here re-listening, I'm liking it more and more... To sum it up, I have no doubt some people will really love this album immediately, but for others like me, they might need to listen through a few times. There's a lot more to this album than you can take in on just one listen.  

My Rating: 7 out of 10


Highlights:
  • Awesome djent
  • Interesting interludes
  • Some unique songwriting (mainly in the interludes)
Lowlights:
  • Screeching guitar sound effects which got a bit of annoying (Whistleblower is a good example)
  • The choruses on this album are pretty basic. 
  • A lot of the album isn't very distinctive and pretty much follows the formula of the genere. 
Favorite Song:
  • Follow Me 
  • Fracture
More Info:




Disclaimer: The views expressed in this review are expressly those of the author of this article and serve only to convey his opinion of the album in question, not to harm the band. 

Comments

  1. Follow me on Twitter @BPMetalReviews to stay updated on the latest reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Unguided - And The Battle Royale Review

Red - Gone Review

Hulkoff - KVEN Review