Gyze - Northern Hell Song Review


Concise Summary: 

When I first found Gyze, I never would have suspected they were from Japan. But here they are, a Japanese melodeath band, and they're really good! They are classified as a melodic death metal band, but I would almost say it's more like neoclassical death metal. The only thing that keeps them from being a straight up neoclassical metal band is probably the screamed lyrics. As you might have already guessed, the instrumentals on Northern Hell Song are some of the most technical and epic that I've heard in quite a while. The shredding was Yngwie Malmsteen level, and the riffs were SO on point. This is a really great album musically, but the vocals didn't seem to be mixed quite right (it got drowned out by the guitars) and it's very hard to make out any of the lyrics. Otherwise, a really great album. 

My Rating: 8.5 out of 10



Highlights:

INSANE shredding 

Absolutely amazing riffs

The screaming is good (even though you can't hear it that well. An instrumental version of this album would be amazing.)

Lowlights:

The screaming is out of place in a few spots. Most specifically on the metal cover of the Third movement of the Moonlight Sonata - I'm not sure why there was screaming over that. Also, as I mentioned before, they aren't mixed the best, and are hard to understand. 

The chorus that showed up on Dead Bone Blue seemed off key. Just something that bothered me. 

Favorite Songs:

Just listen to the whole album. There isn't a single bad song on it musically. 

More Info:





Comments

  1. Follow me on Twitter @BPMetalReviews to stay updated on the latest reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Unguided - And The Battle Royale Review

Red - Gone Review

Hulkoff - KVEN Review